Ah. Valentine’s Day is near and love is in the air. And with kissing being the best way to celebrate this day of love, women all across the country are considering ways to make their lips fuller and more luscious. We have gathered some important information that you will want to know, before you put your money where your mouth is.
There are both surgical and non-surgical options available to you when consider Lip Augmentation.
Lips, as well as eyebrows and eyes, are a perfect target for permanent makeup, which involves dying (or tattooing) the skin. Since this is a permanent procedure you should make sure to have it performed by an exceptionally skilled skin care professional.
Lasers and Peels are great when targeting the wrinkles that a facelift will not remove, especially those wrinkles around your lips and eyes. Understandably, combining procedures will change the amount of needed recovery time.
Upper Lip Shortening:
The upper lip thins and lengthens with age, which is also correctable by making a small incision just below the nose to shorten and turn the lip slightly up.
There are several different types of fillers that are used in plumping up the lips.
- Fat injections and implants: These are other methods to plump lips. But they aren’t used as much today because the results vary and there is a greater risk of side effects.
- Hyaluronic acid fillers: These are the most popular and safest way to improve volume to the lips and diminished lines around the mouth area. Hyaluronic acid fillers can improve the appearance of your lips by adding:
The gel in the filler supports and shapes the tissues of the lips.
- Structure – can be given gradually to achieve desired results.
- Volume – better control over how much lip volume is created.
The effects typically last around six to nine months.
There are several safe FDA approved hyaluronic acid fillers on the market. Among them are these products:
- Restylane, Restylane-L, Restylane Silk
- Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus XC
- Restylane Defyne and Restylane Refyne
Tip Top Lip Tips
Injectable lip augmentation techniques can be performed quickly in your doctor’s office.
- Accentuating the border of the lips
- Smoothing the vertical lip lines (also known as smoker’s lines)
- Making lips fuller and plumper
- Enhancing the cupid’s bow (the mid-upper lip)
Side Effects and Risks of Augmentation:
- Bleeding from the injection sites
- Swelling and bruising
- Redness and tenderness at the site of the injection
Dr. Rod J. Rohrich is an internationally known and respected plastic and cosmetic surgeon operating in the Dallas, Texas area. He is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has led most of the key professional organizations in plastic surgery in the USA. He has received numerous honors and awards in plastic and cosmetic surgery, both nationally and internationally. In addition to his extensive surgical expertise and talent as a gifted surgeon, he is the Founding Chair and Distinguished Teaching Professor of Plastic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He has authored hundreds of innovative academic publications in the field as well as serving as the editor of the leading plastic and reconstructive surgery journal — the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Rohrich has also performed philanthropic work as a civic leader of organizations such as the March of Dimes, American Cancer Association and Save the Children and has established the Rod J. Rohrich, M.D. Foundation, which supports medical students in his native North Dakota. He is also a founding member and President of AiRS, the Alliance in Reconstructive Surgery, which serves to support education and treatment for Breast Cancer Survivors, regardless of financial status. Dr. Rohrich has been featured in a number of notable publications such as Texas Monthly and on television shows including Oprah, the View and Good Morning America and is currently working to provide a reliable source of public-centered information in the fields of plastic and cosmetic surgery as well as other areas of medicine.