The ideal body size and shape is an ever-evolving concept that continues to change over time. One current trend I see more and more frequently is the desire to have larger and fuller buttocks. Are all butt enlargement procedures the same? Will buttock augmentation last? If you wish to alter the appearance of your buttocks, there are currently two FDA-approved options including augmentation with fat transfer and buttock implants. If you are considering changing the shape of your buttocks, I strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in buttock augmentation to discuss what options are best to suit your needs.
Fat Transfer Enlargement.
Fat transfer by far is the preferred method for butt enlargement and augmentation. To achieve the fat transfer, liposuction is performed in areas of your body that have excess fat such as love handles, lower back, inner or outer thighs, or lower abdomen. Next, the fat goes through a purification process and then is injected into different areas of the buttocks to achieve the desired shape. Roughly 50%-60% of the transferred fat will become established and will be permanent, and the other 40%-50% will be reabsorbed by the body.
Fat transfer is my preferred method for buttocks enlargement. Fat transfer, when done correctly, gives the buttocks a more natural-looking appearance and feeling with minimal risks associated. Fat transfer is permanent and has the unique ability to increase or decrease in size with weight fluctuations because fat cells can enlarge with weight gain or decrease in size with weight loss. This is key to a natural looking and feeling buttock enlargement that is permanent and done in a safe manner..
Buttock implants, as the name entails, involves implanting a prosthesis in the buttock area. Buttock implants which are like breast implants usually come in either a round or oval shape. The implant shape is chosen based on the desired results according to your anatomical configuration. The most common buttock implant is a harder silicone material that helps to minimize the risk of rupture or deflating from constant pressure applied from sitting or lying down.
Due to the nature of implants, the risks associated are much higher than that of fat transfer. Risks include shifting, drooping, rupture, firmness, scarring, or seroma. Buttock implants are a permanent solution; however, in my opinion, are not the best option for buttock enlargement. Whether you decide to opt for fat injections or implants for buttock enlargement both are permanent with their own set of different advantages and disadvantages.
With any body modification procedure, you must educate yourself on the type of procedure performed, risks, benefits, and longevity. Both fat transfer and implant buttock enlargement are permanent procedures; however, each procedure has its benefits and risks. For your safety, I cannot stress the importance of discussing your options with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is a specialist in buttock enlargement. When considering plastic surgery, you need an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in the field and who can show you proof of exceptional results.
Dr. Rod J. Rohrich is an internationally known and respected plastic and cosmetic surgeon operating in the Dallas, Texas area. He is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has led most of the key professional organizations in plastic surgery in the USA. He has received numerous honors and awards in plastic and cosmetic surgery, both nationally and internationally. In addition to his extensive surgical expertise and talent as a gifted surgeon, he is the Founding Chair and Distinguished Teaching Professor of Plastic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He has authored hundreds of innovative academic publications in the field as well as serving as the editor of the leading plastic and reconstructive surgery journal — the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Rohrich has also performed philanthropic work as a civic leader of organizations such as the March of Dimes, American Cancer Association and Save the Children and has established the Rod J. Rohrich, M.D. Foundation, which supports medical students in his native North Dakota. He is also a founding member and President of AiRS, the Alliance in Reconstructive Surgery, which serves to support education and treatment for Breast Cancer Survivors, regardless of financial status. Dr. Rohrich has been featured in a number of notable publications such as Texas Monthly and on television shows including Oprah, the View and Good Morning America and is currently working to provide a reliable source of public-centered information in the fields of plastic and cosmetic surgery as well as other areas of medicine.